Monday, March 15, 2010

Beginning exercise #1 - "Naflk"

I think many of the forthcoming posts are going to be fiction-centric - at least in the short term. I have been playing around with an exercise I learned to get started. I have a program generate five random letters, and then I form a first sentence from the sequence and see where it goes. Some may go no further than a paragraph, like the one below, but one may lead to something big. Anyway, I would like to share what I come up with, even if it's short. As always, I welcome comments. And since this is fiction, the more honest the better. Cheers.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Naflk"

Noon, and Frank laughed krazily. That’s right, krazily. With a k. Krazy spelled with a k takes things up a level, raises the stakes. Krazy has an element of the absurd, it carries with it a whimsical, unpredictable nature. Crazy, while crazy, is not krazy. Crazy has a method to its madness. With krazy, all bets are off.

Frank laughed krazily.

But this isn't about Frank. In fact, Frank may not even be that guys name. It was noon, though. And that guy did laugh krazily.

It’s not the who we should be concerned with, but the what. What could cause a man to laugh krazily?

No comments:

Post a Comment